Coppedge Eyecare began in 1955 with Dr. John H. Coppedge, Sr. He served in the U. S. Navy as a pharmacist’s mate during WWII, graduated from the University of Tampa and then attended Southern College of Optometry in Memphis, TN. After graduation, he opened his small office in downtown Brooksville (near the current SunTrust Bank building). As the practice grew, he moved to a new location across from the old Lykes Memorial Hospital.
His son, John H. Coppedge, Jr. developed an interest in optometry and graduated from Southern College of Optometry in 1969. Dr. Coppedge joined his father’s practice upon graduation. The practice continued to grow and a new building was completed in 1980, to facilitate that growth. Sadly, Dr. John H. Coppedge, Sr. passed away in 1981.
Dr. John H. Coppedge, Jr. and his wife, Sharon, had three children: twin boys Casey and Craig, and daughter Kalyn. Casey Coppedge became an electrical engineer, before deciding to pursue a career in optometry. He graduated from Nova Southeastern University School of Optometry in 2007 and then moved back to Brooksville to join his father in practice.
When Dr. John H. Coppedge, Jr. retired in April, 2015, Dr. John Casey Coppedge continued the practice. He has now been joined by his wife, Dr. Amanda Coppedge, in the practice, continuing the family tradition of optometry in Hernando county.